Lijit Ad Wijit

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, damn

Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about. Congrats to the Jayhawks on a dominating win. I didn't expect to hear the "Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk" chant with a minute left in the game. I was anticipating the "Gooo-Heeeels!" chant that drowned out the rest of Carolina's opponents.
Hopefully the natives of Kansas will allow the Roy Williams controversy to rest after tonight. The Jayhawks got what the whole state wanted more than anything, to directly prevent Roy from winning a national title.
Now the Jayhawks will have a chance to do just that, which is something Roy himself could never do in Lawrence.
The last time Kansas was in the national title game they faced a Carmelo Anthony-led squad from upstate New York. Now another great coach with a team of overloaded talent stands in its way.
I'm not even going to pick that game because as we saw tonight, it wouldn't do any good. I hope it's a close game as the contests of the final two weekends of this year's tournament have probably been the worst I can ever remember for an NCAA Tournament.
The only games I've enjoyed since the first two rounds are ones that involved Davidson, and the West Virginia-Xavier overtime battle.
If Bill Self wins on Monday, I'd be happy to see the Phil Mickelson of college basketball coaches win his first title. And if it's John Calipari, there's nothing wrong with a Steve Stricker finally getting his due.
May the best team win.

No comments: